An electrician who died while repairing his home has been named a hero in honour of a local man.

The man, who had been electrocuting his house when it was put out of commission, was a regular customer at the Hulbert’s, in the town of Oundle, near Lismore.

“He was a fantastic guy,” the family said.

“We are all extremely sad to hear of his passing, but he was a great man who had a very big heart.”

The electrician, who is survived by his wife, daughter, and two grandchildren, was working on his electrician’s pole when he was electrocute.

“I was sitting on a pole at the time, and I just thought I’d have a bit of fun,” he said.

The house was repaired by the man’s wife, who went to the shop to check the damage, and called the Hulsburt Road Fire Brigade to help.

“The next thing I knew, I heard a bang,” he recalled.

“It was very loud, and the flames were coming towards me, so I was thinking, ‘Oh my god’.”

I didn’t know what was going on.

I could hear them coming towards my house.

I went to get out of the way, and as I came out, there was a man lying on the ground with his hands up and screaming.””

I saw him on the floor, I didn’t realise that he was dead.

“It took emergency services for firefighters to get the man to safety.

He was taken to hospital where he died.”

There was a lot of blood, and his clothes were burnt,” the man said.

Topics:fire,hulbert-3040,oundle-3043,newcastle-2300,sabaroola-2350First posted October 04, 2019 17:36:59More stories from New South Wales